Will vbulletin ever release a product that is on the level of the 3.x series releases? I doubt it.
The initial 5.0 release will feature some functionality that has never existed in previous versions. There will also be features that were present in vBulletin 4 that will not be available in vBulletin 5 Connect until version 5.0.1.
The following brand new functionalities have been added to enhance both the administrative and end user experiences of vBulletin 5 Connect:
· The new Site Builder provides customizable page templates, drag-and-drop configuration and in-line site editing that give you greater control over the look, feel and functionality of your community. This new utility is the only of its kind within the realm of forum software.
· Dynamic Content Discovery – A re-architected search function along with customizable content modules provide higher quality search results and allow for more granular search criteria.
· A New, Modernized UI – Enjoy a clean, up-to-date design that supports easier forum navigation for members and visitors alike.
· Expanded Media Capabilities – Quickly post and start conversations around photos and video. Additionally, each user’s profile now contains an aggregation of all media that they have posted
The following functions were available in vBulletin 4 and are not available in vBulletin 5.0; however, they are currently planned to become available in version 5.0.1, which should go live just a few weeks after the 5.0 release. If your forum critically depends on one or more of the following, we suggest that you wait until 5.0.1 to upgrade to vBulletin 5 Connect.
· Infractions – Hand out penalties to disruptive posters.
· FAQ section – Add a “frequently asked questions” section to your forum.
· Social Bookmarking – Tag and share interesting content
· Daily Motion Video Attachments – Attach videos created on Daily Motion.
· XML Sitemaps for Search Engines – Generate an SEO-friendly XML Sitemap for your forum.
· Blog Categories – Organize your blog posts based on their similarity of content.
· The Access Mask System – Control who has what access to various actions in your forum.
· Admin CP post reporting – Receive updates on subscribed posts via admin CP.
· Ability to discuss flagged items in the mod forum – Conduct moderator-only conversations around items that have been flagged as an issue.
The following features will be added to vBulletin 5 Connect in subsequent releases after 5.0.1:
· Revamped CMS Module
· Paid Subscriptions
· IPv6 compatibility
· Schema.org schemas used for vBulletin content types
· Watermarked Photos
· Add Attachments to Private Messages.
· Create New Pages with Pre-Populated Modules
· Canonical “Next” and “Previous” Links
· Search will enabled for two different modes (link only vs. link + page summary)
vBulletin 5 Connect is unequivocally the best forum software available. It delivers great social capabilities, easy content discovery and posting, and a highly optimized mobile experience. vBulletin 5 Connect sites are easy to launch and manage with our Site Builder functionality. At the same time, the product maintains the hallmarks of vBulletin's popularity, including extensive customizability, strong moderation control and security, as well as world-class customer support.
For a short period of time we're offering vBulletin 3 and 4 customers a $25 discount on vBulletin 5 Connect upgrade licenses. To obtain this discount, simply enter the coupon code “UPGD25” at the time of purchase.
Thank you to all of the participants in our beta testing program who have provided feedback on the product over the past five months. This input has been invaluable as we've worked through debugging the product. While we are pleased with the current state of the product, development is never finished, and we will continue to address bugs and improvements in functionality, prioritizing this work based largely on ongoing customer feedback.
To read the vbulletin 5 release thread and comments.